Pet stores and veterinarians on the North Side are sending out a warning: someone is putting squirrel poison where dogs can get it, and it has killed some dogs already.
CBS 2’s Pamela Jones reports the squirrel poison looks much like rat poison, but is a different color.
People simply out walking their dogs are running across a deadly danger, without even realizing it.
Someone has been placing poison pellets right where pets can eat them and it has dog owners on guard.
“I’m just horrified by this. I mean i take my dog out in my neighborhood all the time,” one pet owner said.
Pet store owners say the stuff has led to the deaths of at least three dogs on the north side in the last month.
Rogers Bark Pet Salon owner Marie Winkeler said when she learned about it, “I thought it was tragic.”
One dog owner said her pet got so sick, the dog had to be euthanized Sunday. She came to Rogers Bark Pet Salon to tell her story.
“She came in very upset that her dog had died the previous day, because he ingested something, and the vet said it was squirrel poison,” Winkeler said.